Thursday, June 4, 2015

And I Liked Chess


She came in, rushed and in a huff. It took her a minute to compose herself.

 In one trembling hand she held a chessboard, while in the other she confidently gripped a fist full of pieces. She placed the board down before me and scattered the pieces upon the checkered surface. 
With eyes hung low, she set the board up.

Her white pieces formed an ominous circle of bishops and rooks on my half of the board. In the center of this circle she placed a single black piece, my king.

We survey the obscene, instant checkmate for a moment.

Her look then snapped up to me, apologized and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
All works by Daniel Kushnir is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.